- Business application deadline
- December 6, 2023
- Judge sign-up deadline
- December 31, 2023
- Entry fee
SparkWV is an innovative idea and small business generation competition for middle and high school students in West Virginia. The competition consists of three competitive rounds. Students are invited to apply as individuals or as a team with up to four members.
SparkWV includes two tracks:
- BIG IDEAS: You have an idea for a product or invention that solves a problem, but you don’t necessarily have the physical resources or expertise to make it.
- Examples: Apps, inventions, etc.
- SMALL BUSINESS: You have a business idea that viable and could be started in your local community or a hobby/skill that you could sell.
- Examples: Homemade jewelry, local coffee shop, etc.
SparkWV's three rounds:
- Round 1 Idea Submission: Students will submit their track selection, a business name, brief description of their idea, and its relevancy to the track they selected (i.e., what problem it solves, how its an opportunity in their local community, or how it utilizes a skill/hobby to create a business.)
- Round 2 BMC + Pitch Deck Submission: Up to 40 businesses (20 per track) will be selected as semi-finalists. Round 2 submissions will include a business model canvas and pitch deck for each business idea.
- Round 3 Live Pitch: Up to 10 teams will be selected to pitch live as part of Bridging Innovation Week 2024 in Huntington, West Virginia. Students will give a five minute live pitch on their idea to a panel of judges.
About the prizes:
- Students will compete for up to $10,000 in prizes for themselves and their classroom.
- Winners may choose their prize from three options: a scholarship, cash for their business, or classroom gear (laptops, etc.).
- Note: Cash + scholarships will require a 1099.
For assistance and help navigating VentureDash, please download the tutorial below:
Schedule and key dates
Step 1: Intent to Apply
- Due by 11:59pm EST on Friday, November 10
Step 2: First Round Submission
- Due by 11:59pm EST on Wed, December 6th
Step 3: Semi-Finals
- Semi-finalists will be notified by December 15, 2023
- Semi-finalist submissions will be due by 11:59pm EST on Wednesday, January 31st.
Step 4: Finals
- Finalists will be notified by February 16, 2024.
- Finalist prep workshops will take place in March 2024.
- Live pitches will take place on Wednesday, April 10th at the Mountain Health Arena in Huntington, West Virginia.
Organized byThe EdVenture Group
Date and time
Address and location1 Civic, Center Plaza
Huntington, WV 25701